Monday, October 24, 2005
"Learning to live out, & live in, the love of God.
(Rather than living in a world of justification.)
The law is love.
The law is not because of love. Laws in the common conception is made
unnecessary because love is the law, and the law is love. Ask yourself why you
do some things. Is it not because you love to do it? If it isn't, then why do
you do it. To keep in mind is also that love is not passive, but generative. If
you do not love homework, can you not generate the love for homework? And then,
do it like you love it. Love does make all the difference.
2 basic commandments: love God & love one another.
The two laws intersect. In learning about the love of God, who loves
without reason and without need for reciprocation (although you would give it
back anyway because the law is love), I learn how to truly love other
people.
Religious people repent in their sins, but Christians repent in
their righteousness.
This was a eureka moment for me, after which I felt a tremendous sense of
peace even though I still didn't know what I was going to do after graduation,
whether I would be able to get a job in the States, what my grades will be this
semester after working hard. It made me realize that I can rest in the
righteousness of lovely Jesus who died for me, and also in my father and
everybody else who has faith in me. In this way I can be confident and joyful,
knowing that I have nuggets of wisdom that I too can share, and that I do not
always have to be in a learning mode, feeling inadequate and somehow inferior to
others. I may be right, and I may be wrong, but knowing that I can rest in God's
righteousness somehow empowers me to take a risk and share knowledge/opinions
anyway. Life is a journey, not an end.
Labouring out of rest, rather than labouring to get rest.
This really does make all the difference. Now I labour out of rest. Working
is not something that is tiring, but something which is restful because I am
doing something I want to do, and am capable of doing. I am making a choice to
work, and not to sleep, not because I have to work, but because I can. Labouring
out of rest is really a wonderful, wonderful discovery for me."He truely works in mysterious ways.
Inscribed @ 9:49 pm